Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

1. I just got back from the cannery. I have only been once before and that was ten years ago and I didn't even buy anything. I've always thought of food storage as a daunting task. We do have some food storage and do try to stalk up on items. I just REALLY have a LOT to learn. I got some items for long term storage, oats and wheat (I do have an electric grinder that I've never used, so I'm going to have to pull it out and see how it works). I also got some potato pearls and dehydrated refried beans. I love the potatoes and everybody says the refried beans are really good, we'll see. I am definitely going back regularly. We had a TON of orders and quite a lot of people.
2. Steven's sister Becky moved in with us on Saturday night. She is here working until she goes back up to school in April. The kids get to see her for a bit in the morning. Apparently, Michael picked out her clothes yesterday, so she could "find herself a lonely man and get married." She is a good sport and we are going to enjoy having her.
3. Steven and I went on a date. We went to the dollar theatre and saw the movie Tangled. I LOVED IT!!!! It was so funny. It was great watching it at the dollar theatre, I didn't feel like I needed to control my laughter, because everyone there was laughing loud.
4. Sarah is taking an active interest in using the potty. It is really cute. Today she was running around bare. While I was on the phone and she come running out of the playroom yelling potty or poo-poo all frantically. All I know is she didn't have an accident, but she also didn't go on the potty. I put a diaper on and a bit later she pooed. I think she had gas and it alarmed her. Isn't it awesome how we can talk about our two year old's BMs freely? And "I've got to poop" is cute coming out of a toddlers mouth?
5. Rachel likes to climb into this little wagon we have and go for rides. Jacob will tuck her in with a couch pillow, blanket and toys and push her around the loop in our house. She loves it. I love that he so attentive to his sister.
6. My step dad went in for a biopsy on his bladder yesterday. It seems the proceedure went smoothly, but he's had a lot of pain, which is common. I do not know much more, but he need our prayers.

7. I lost four pounds! And I won't be looking for them. This month I decided to refocus on healthy living. For a while there I thought my scale was broken. Phew.
8. I am making a cute bench with Steven. We really enjoy working in the garage together. I am focusing on decorating the girls room, which will not be done anytime soon....a little at a time. We had leftover beadboard and plywood from the wall (an early project that turned out fantastic) and I decided that I wanted to make a little bench. It needs painting still, but so far I am liking it.
9. Steven's brother Brian and his wife have been married for over a year and Crystal has had to commute 6 hours often this whole time. Her daughter Gizelle's dad has been prolonging the court case in all possible ways. Today the judge granted that Crystal and Gizelle can move! Hooray! It has been a long ordeal and we are so happy for them.
10. I tried a new recipe. It is easy and I had all the ingredients on hand. We ate it with steamed broccoli and carrots with rice. Yum!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

from My Kitchen Cafe (www.melskitchencafe.com)

*Note: if you like extra sauce, double the sauce ingredients - pour half over the chicken and follow the baking directions in the recipe and pour the other half in a small saucepan. Cook the sauce on the stovetop at medium heat for 8-10 minutes until it simmers and thickens. Serve it on the side of the chicken.
*Serves 4-6
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.

Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes so it is evenly coated with the sauce. Serve the chicken over rice.

No comments: