Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2011 Rosenlund Birthday Cakes

As this is a new year and birthdays in our family are soon approaching, I'd like to document our 2011 birthday cakes. I really enjoy making fun cakes for the kids. In general, I like to decorate their cake to their interests of that year. I tend to research and come up with ideas and let the birthday child make the final decision (The younger kids get to be surprised). Although, this year Michael made a request before I even started thinking cakes. 

First cake of the year:

I would LOVE to call this Rachel's 1st Birthday's cake. 

Unfortunately, it's not. This cake was made a week before Rachel's birthday. I was trying out an awesome homemade marshmellow fondant recipe. It turned out SO cute and tastey. 

  Let's just pretend Rachel is sitting in front of the cake taking a picture of her siblings;)

This is Rachel's 1st birthday cake. 
I really don't even know what to say about this...


The kids had all been sick (minus Rachel), Michael had to watch the party from the top of the stairs, as he was still in the puke phase:(

Rachel enjoyed picking the fondant dots off her "piece". I don't know, maybe the green was a bit too much for her taste buds. At least it was entertaining. 



Rachel's 2nd birthday is in a couple of weeks and I've found what I want to make her. Should be easy and fail safe. I have started testing homemade frostings. Swiss Meringue Buttercream is definitely crossed off the list. We went to school and ate lunch with Jacob and I brought cute cupcakes as a treat and  ALL four of my kids scraped it off. Haha. 

Moving on:

Michael's cake was crazy amazing!

I don't think I could ever repeat this cake or any close to it.
Michael came to me and asked for a Star Wars cake...
I really am not sure I can take requests ever again. 

Such a cutie!

Jacob loved this cake. It is a Florence Flask.
 He came up with the idea of using the measurements to show his age. You can find both Jacob and Sarah's cakes at familyfun.com. I also took a break from fondant. 


If you can guess, we're doing our mad scientist pose. 

Sarah's cake.
 Our camera went on the fritz for a while, but my father-in-law was in town so we got pictures with his camera, which are in a file somewhere on this computer... This is just a phone shot of Sarah's cake. Last year she was really into dragons. It was cute and she loved her cake. 

 Steven and I had boring cakes (yummy). Steven's cake was so boring that apparently I only took a video of him blowing the candles out, a sight no one should miss. This one was my cake. The kids put the candles on. You can see which candles Rachel put into the cake. Doesn't that look tempting, and I'm not talking about the cake, I'm talking about pushing all the rest of the candles in deeper. 

Well, there's to wishing everyone a happy birthday.

















1 comment:

Creed Family said...

Holy cow, I was laughing all the way through that. Love the cakes and love your captions. I never saw Sarah's! and yes that does look tempting to poke them further in...